Selectors are independent, insists BCCI
New Delhi: The BCCI on Wednesday refuted former selector Mohinder Amarnath`s accusation that Board President N Srinivasan had blocked a move to sack under-fire skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, insisting that the selectors are "independent".
Amarnath had created a flutter by openly admitting that "certain internal reason" stopped the selection committee from replacing Mahendra Singh Dhoni as Indian captain after eight successive Test defeats in England and Australia.
But BCCI vice-President and Indian Premier League Chairman Rajeev Shukla rebutted the allegations.
"I will not go into what he has said. I don`t think this has ever happened. I don`t think it is appropriate to give statements like this," Shukla told reporters here.
"Whatever one has to say, one can say while participating in the (selection) meeting. Making comments about it, I think it is not appropriate as it creates some kind of perception in the minds of players and fans," he said.
"Selectors are independent. They are not under any pressure," he asserted.
Amarnath, while making the allegation, did not divulge the exact reasons for not sacking Dhoni despite India`s Test humiliation which has continued at home as well in the ongoing series against England.
"Definitely, there were discussions to replace Dhoni and people were agreeing to do so but for some internal reason, it didn`t happen. I will not like to divulge what were the reasons. But when the time is right, I will let the people of this country know about the reasons," Amarnath, the hero of India`s 1983 World Cup victory, had said.
In a roundabout manner, Amarnath had also admitted that there were external pressures on the selection committee when the topic of Dhoni`s removal was broached.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview