Selectors picked good team for World Cup: Vengsarkar
Mumbai: Former India skipper Dilip Vengsarkar expressed satisfaction at the 15-member squad picked by the national selectors for the ICC Cricket World Cup
commencing next month in the sub-continent.
"It`s a good team and what I expected. It`s a good mix of youth and experience. I am especially happy over the selection of Piyush Chawla as leg-spinner can make the difference," said Vengsarkar.
Tamil Nadu spinner Ravichandran Ashwin and Piyush Chawla were named in the squad to be captained by Mahendra Singh Dhoni, which also includes star players like Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan.
But Mumbai`s Rohit Sharma and Kerala pacer S Sreesanth were omitted from the squad.
Vengsarkar, though terming Rohit as a good player, said Yusuf Pathan always had an edge because of his ability to change the complexion of a match.
"Rohit Sharma is a good player. But Yusuf Pathan can turn a match upside down. He`s an explosive player," said the former chief selector and member of the 1983 World Cup-winning team.
Vengsarkar was also of the view that the spinners can play a crucial role in the middle overs, especially as the Cup is being played mostly in March.
"Spinners can play a crucial role in the middle overs. But the result of the match could hinge on how the bowlers perform in the last five overs," he said.
The 10th edition of the mega-event is to be played between February 19 and April 2 in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city