Seniors deserved a break, says Suresh Raina
Port of Spain (Trinidad): India`s stand-in cricket captain Suresh Raina has backed the decision of top players such as Sachin Tendulkar to skip the tour of the West Indies, saying the seniors "deserved a break".
India wears a depleted look in the West Indies with Tendulkar and regular skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni opting out and Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir and Yuvraj Singh ruled out due to injuries and illness.
Raina, who will lead the side in tomorrow`s one-off Twenty20 and the five-match ODI series after that, said he is looking forward to the challenge of steering a young and inexperienced side.
"(Being captain) is a great challenge to me and I`m really looking forward to that," Raina said after the team`s arrival.
"We have good players who want to do well in this series. They have done well in first-class cricket and the IPL or in the World Cup team."
Raina said the senior players "deserved a break" and it was chance for the youngsters to make a name for themselves.
"We have a young team here and they are focused on doing well for India and I am excited to see how they perform over the next few weeks," said Raina.
West Indies have been struggling for quite a while, the most recent of their debacles coming against Pakistan. Darren Sammy`s men were handed a 2-3 ODI series loss Pakistan but Raina refused to take them lightly.
"The West Indies team has been playing good cricket for the past few months and we are not going to take them lightly," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand