Sethi admits uncertainty in Pakistan cricket
Karachi: Acting PCB Chairman Najam Sethi on Friday admitted that there was an ongoing crisis in Pakistan cricket because of restrictions placed on him in exercising full powers by Islamabad High Court.
"Because of this uncertain situation that has developed after the judgement of the court, we decided to file an appeal," Sethi said.
Sethi was appointed acting chairman of the Board by the government late last month after the IHC stopped Zaka Ashraf from working as PCB head.
In its detailed judgement released this week, the court declared the elections of Ashraf in May as null and void but also stopped Sethi from exercising full powers and ordered holding of fresh elections in 90 days` time.
Sethi said he was unclear about his position although they were many issues that needed to be resolved immediately.
"The biggest problem is that the budget for 2012/2013 has still not been approved although it is ready. And unless the budget is approved by the Chairman how can we pay salaries to employees," Sethi told `Geo News` channel.
He pointed out that the governing board of the PCB had given him full authority at its last meeting but he was unable to exercise his powers because of the court orders.
"The governing board gave me powers and authority but I can`t use them because of the court orders."
Sethi said the governing board had also approved extending the contracts of some 60 employees which expired in June or July.
"But we have been unable to extend the contracts and I fear we might see these employees holding a strike in front of the board offices but there is nothing I can do," he said.
"We have cricket issues also pending like the announcement of the Pakistan under-23 team that will go to Singapore and the coming tour to Zimbabwe."
Sethi also explained that when he took over as acting chief, chief selector Iqbal Qasim resigned by his own will.
"Since he resigned as chief selector I had no option but to appoint Moin Khan. But now we don`t know what is Moin`s position and who will select the teams," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?