Shahid Afridi hails new ODI century record holder
Queenstown: Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi on Wednesday hailed New Zealand batsman Corey Anderson, who broke his long-standing record for the fastest one-day century -- but admitted he had never heard of him before.
Anderson bettered Afridi`s 17-year-old record by one ball, reaching the three-figure mark off just 36 balls against the West Indies in Queenstown in the third one-day international.
Afridi set the mark aged just 16, in only his second limited-overs match, against Sri Lanka in Nairobi in October 1996.
He said he had never heard of Anderson before Wednesday morning.
"I never heard his name and early morning my nephew told me about his feat and I sort of said the first news of 2014 is of my record being broken," Afridi told AFP.
"But I must say it`s a great achievement and Anderson deserves all the praise. It needs a super effort to score a hundred off 36 balls," Afridi told AFP.
"Records are meant to be broken and I knew it would be broken some day."
Afridi admitted he had hoped the record would last until he quit the game.
"I sort of wanted this record to stand until I retire because it has been a big pride for Pakistan and for me and whenever my name comes the record is mentioned," he said.
"Now Anderson`s name will come but I am sure with the advent of Twenty20 cricket this record will surely be bettered in the future."
He said he had always expected West Indian Chris Gayle or Australian David Warner to break the record.
"I had never expected it to be broken by a new player," said Afridi. "I thought the way Gayle batted and hit sixes or the way Warner bats, they were favourites to break my record."
"I wish any Pakistan player would break this record soon, but for the time being everyone must appreciate Anderson."
The swashbuckling Afridi has been in bad form with the bat last year and was dropped twice from Pakistan`s one-day squad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly