Shahid Afridi turn down CPL proposal after reduction in offer price
Karachi: Pakistan`s Shahid Afridi has turned down a USD 50,000 offer to play in the inaugural Caribbean Premier League after the franchise who had shown interest in him significantly reduced the initial proposal made to the flamboyant all-rounder.
"Afrdi was offered 50,000 dollars for the contract but he rejected it pointing out that initially the same franchise had offered him USD 150,000 and he would not accept less now," a source close to Afridi said.
St. Lucia franchise had approached Afridi to play for them in the inaugural edition after losing an overseas signing due to injury.
"Afridi`s contention was that when the initial offer was made to him he turned it down because he had a three year contract with the Sri Lankan Premier league which is not being held this year," he said.
"But his stance is that if the St Lucia team wanted to sign him now they should have paid him the original offer made to him."
Afridi is currently part of the Pakistani team who is playing West Indies in a limited-overs series.
Afridi has hit form on the tour and was man of the match in the first ODI and also in the first T20 international played on Saturday.
The franchise after failing in its negotiations with Afridi then offered the same amount to Pakistan captain, Misbah-ul-Haq who accepted it and will play in the inaugural Caribbean League.
"Misbah was an obvious second choice because of his recent form although ironically the Pakistani selectors don`t consider him for T20 cricket now," the source said.
Other Pakistani players appearing in the league include T20 captain Mohammad Hafeez, former skipper Shoaib Malik and young batsmen Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shahzad.
Icon players Malik and Hafeez are reportedly being paid USD 150,000 each by their franchises.
The league will be played from July 30 to August 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...