Melbourne: Bangladeshi all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan, who is presently the world’s No.1 Twenty20 (T20) cricketer, has signed to play for the Australian Melbourne Renegades in the second half of the T20 Big Bash League season.
The 27-year-old has replaced all-rounder Andre Russell who will join up with the West Indies One Day International (ODI) squad in South Africa.
Having already played for the Adelaide Strikers last season, Hasan is accustomed to playing in the Big Bash.
Earlier in 2014, Hasan was banned by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) from playing in foreign leagues citing an ‘attitude’ problem. The ban was, however, lifted two weeks ago and the Renegades were quick to rope in the all-rounder.
Regenades coach Simon Helmot said he is looking forward to having Hasan in the squad for the upcoming matches at the beginning of next year.
“Shakib is great fit for our squad in January and we’re looking forward to having him on board,” Helmot said Wednesday.
“We were looking for someone who could contribute across the board for us and being able to call on the top-ranked T20 allrounder in the world is a terrific boost. He brings plenty of experience and a cool head under pressure,” he added.
Shakib’s first chance to be selected to play will be the away match against the Hobart Hurricanes Jan 7.
The Renegades squad next face the Perth Scorchers 26 Dec.
Hasan has scored 752 runs and taken 44 wickets in 35 T20 Internationals for Bangladesh.