Shakib fires back at ex-players who blasted his team
Dhaka: Under-fire Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan attacked some of the country`s former top cricketers on Sunday for their criticism of his team following their humiliating defeat to West Indies.
"I feel really bad when I see the former cricketers talk like common fans," Shakib said in his column in Bengali daily Prothom Alo on Sunday.
"They understand a lot, have played a lot and went through this kind of situation a lot of times. It is really disappointing," he said.
Bangladesh, facing a rampant West Indian attack, were all out for their lowest ever one-day international total of 58 in their third Group B game in a nine-wicket defeat on Friday, sparking an angry reaction from their fans.
Former cricketers, including ex-skippers Aminul Islam, Khaled Mahmud and Habibul Bashar, also criticised the team in television talk shows and newspaper columns for what they said was irresponsible batting .
"I don`t like to demean anyone. But you can see in the record books who did what," Shakib said, without singling out any names.
"I don`t think there is any cricketer in Bangladesh who did not face such situation in his career," said Shakib.
"We are in this (losing) situation for the first time since the Twenty20 World Cup in 2009."
"They faced this situation more often (than us). They should keep that in mind before talking," he added.
Bangladesh won only three one-day internationals before they gained test status in 2000. They failed to win any game in 47 attempts in a period spanning from 1999 to 2004.
In contrast, the current squad, led by Shakib, won nine of their last 15 matches -- including two abandonments -- before the West Indies humiliation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters