Shane Warne a favourite for knighthood to the Order of Australia
Sydney: Australian spin legend Shane Warne has reportedly been tipped as a top favourite to be granted a knighthood after Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced that the country could reintroduce knights and dames to the Order of Australia.
Australian cricket legend Sir Donald Bradman (1949) and racing icon Sir Jack Brabham (1979) are among those to have been granted knighthoods in the past on account of their sporting deeds.
According to News.com.au, Australian sports betting site TAB has tipped Warne as a three-dollar favourite for the honour after Abbott said that the Queen had agreed to bring back the honour for Australians, with no more than four knighthoods and/or damehoods awarded each year
The Prime Minister also said that knights or dames would be selected from those who have held public office but athletes have previously been considered for recognition in Australia.
Australian sports legends Ian Thorpe, Sally Pearson, Cathy Freeman and Susie O`Neill are also among the ten prospective candidates taken out by TAB for the honour, the report added
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details