Shane Warne a favourite for knighthood to the Order of Australia
Sydney: Australian spin legend Shane Warne has reportedly been tipped as a top favourite to be granted a knighthood after Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced that the country could reintroduce knights and dames to the Order of Australia.
Australian cricket legend Sir Donald Bradman (1949) and racing icon Sir Jack Brabham (1979) are among those to have been granted knighthoods in the past on account of their sporting deeds.
According to News.com.au, Australian sports betting site TAB has tipped Warne as a three-dollar favourite for the honour after Abbott said that the Queen had agreed to bring back the honour for Australians, with no more than four knighthoods and/or damehoods awarded each year
The Prime Minister also said that knights or dames would be selected from those who have held public office but athletes have previously been considered for recognition in Australia.
Australian sports legends Ian Thorpe, Sally Pearson, Cathy Freeman and Susie O`Neill are also among the ten prospective candidates taken out by TAB for the honour, the report added
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city