Shane Warne bats for Bolt’s inclusion in BBL despite strident opposition
Sydney: Australian television presenter Eddie McGuire and Melbourne Stars captain Shane Warne have insisted on the inclusion of Jamaican sprint legend Usain Bolt in Australia’s domestic T20 league this season, although it is unclear whether he would eventually play in the tournament.
Melbourne Stars’ president McGuire has backed Bolt’s inclusion for the tournament and is trying to use him in some role.
“To be honest, Usain Bolt has provided as much marketing impetus to the KFC Big Bash League, probably only behind Shane Warne. If he doesn`t ever come, he has done more for this game, and Cricket Australia should put a street parade for him already,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted McGuire, as saying.
“Maybe some of the people at marketing who are talking about it being a negative, should come and have a chat with me and see what we`re actually doing, and not worry about it,” he added.
Warne, who replaced Cameron White as captain for the Melbourne Stars also expressed the same view.
“I think if you look at the bigger picture … to have Usain Bolt, if he`s good enough to play a game and he wants to be with us, that`s pretty good, isn`t it?” Warne said.
Earlier, officials with the Big Bash League and Cricket Australia had reportedly been less than enthusiastic about the Olympic champion and cricket lover being allowed to display his cricket skills, as they do not want to turn the tournament into a ‘circus’.
However, after McGuire’s insistence, it is most likely that the Jamaican could spend some time on the ground as a fieldsman, as well as having a net session and being involved in promotion, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM