Shane Warne to `think about` England coaching job
Sydney: Australian bowling great Shane Warne, so often the cause of England`s demise, offered Monday to think about reviving the old enemy as the country`s next coach.
As England players flew home in the early hours following a final defeat in Sydney, Warne took to Twitter in answer to calls for him to apply for the role.
"To my English followers, I`m flattered that you would like me to consider the England job," Warne tweeted.
"All I can say is -- I will think about it!!!"
The comment could of course be a wind-up from the 44-year-old who, at the end of January, was named as spin consultant ahead of Australia`s World Twenty20 campaign starting in Bangladesh in March.
Cricket Australia said Warne would support head coach Darren Lehmann, providing specialist training for the squad`s spinners.
The England job has been vacant since Andy Flower quit a week ago after losing the Ashes 5-0 on a disastrous tour Down Under.
Warne, who retired in 2007 with a then world-record 708 Test wickets, tormented England during his celebrated career, including a 1994 hat-trick, but was also well-known for off-field antics.
Melbourne`s Herald Sun urged Warne to think again about his offer.
"You should be dismissing hare-brained ideas like that without a second thought," it said on its website.
"Surely you wouldn`t coach the Poms mate??" tweeted former batsman and colleague Michael Slater.
England`s one-day coach Ashley Giles is among the favourites to take over from Flower.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested