Shane Warne to work as spin consultant for Oz squad in lead-up to World T20
Sydney: Australian spin legend Shane Warne will reportedly work with the national team as a mentor for the side`s spinners in the lead-up to the World Twenty20 tournament in March, to be held in Bangladesh.
The former leg-spinner will join the Australian staff in a consultancy role when the T20 squad assembles in South Africa after the upcoming Test series for three T20 internationals against the top Test team in the world.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Warne said that he is excited to be working with Australia`s spinners in South Africa and is looking forward to helping them with some intense bowling preparation ahead of the World Twenty 20, where they would specifically work on tactics and mindset.
Hailing Warne, national head coach Darren Lehmann said that they are thrilled to have the spin great on board as he was a gifted cricketer and remains passionate about spin bowling, adding that as spin bowling will be critical to success during the World T20, so there is no better person than Warne to help guide the spinners that are selected in the squad.
Lehmann also said that they believe the team can benefit from more specific skill-based coaching as and when it is needed, adding that from time to time they will enlist the support of experts in their craft to work with the players and share their experiences.
Australia`s T20 team, captained by George Bailey, is ranked a lowly eighth in the ICC rankings, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj