Shane Watson possibly best T20 player in world: Haddin
Sydney: Sydney Sixers skipper, Brad Haddin, has stopped just short of declaring Shane Watson the finest Twenty20 cricketer in the world, as the all-rounder prepares to join his team for the T20 Champions League.
The Sixers fly to South Africa on Tuesday for the tournament that brings together the best teams from the world’s domestic T20 leagues and carries total prize money of 13 million dollars.
The SCG side secured its place in the competition by winning the Big Bash League last summer, and will arrive in Johannesburg as equal second favourites to claim the title won by NSW in 2009.
The Sydney Sixers are favourites with Watson being named the player of the World T20 in Sri Lanka and the in-form Mitchell Starc joining their line-up.
Teenager Patrick Cummins is also flying from Colombo to South Africa to play for the Sixers despite having committed to join Perth Scorchers this summer.
Haddin said Watson was in a league of his own in the rapid-fire form of the game at present and had reason to be considered possibly the best T20 player in the world.
“I think it would make for a good dinner table argument. There are some very good Twenty20 players but I think the package you get with ‘Watto’ [is] bat, bowl and field. The best thing about him is guys like Watto actually win you cricket games,” Haddin said.
“If they go off they take the game totally out of the hands of the opposition. At the moment, as we`ve all seen, in a few of those innings he`s playing he is playing a different game to all of us,” he said.
The Sydney Sixers open their campaign against 2010 champions Chennai Super Kings at the New Wanderers on Sunday before two group games in three days in Cape Town and then a fourth preliminary stage match in Durban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day