Shane Watson possibly best T20 player in world: Haddin
Sydney: Sydney Sixers skipper, Brad Haddin, has stopped just short of declaring Shane Watson the finest Twenty20 cricketer in the world, as the all-rounder prepares to join his team for the T20 Champions League.
The Sixers fly to South Africa on Tuesday for the tournament that brings together the best teams from the world’s domestic T20 leagues and carries total prize money of 13 million dollars.
The SCG side secured its place in the competition by winning the Big Bash League last summer, and will arrive in Johannesburg as equal second favourites to claim the title won by NSW in 2009.
The Sydney Sixers are favourites with Watson being named the player of the World T20 in Sri Lanka and the in-form Mitchell Starc joining their line-up.
Teenager Patrick Cummins is also flying from Colombo to South Africa to play for the Sixers despite having committed to join Perth Scorchers this summer.
Haddin said Watson was in a league of his own in the rapid-fire form of the game at present and had reason to be considered possibly the best T20 player in the world.
“I think it would make for a good dinner table argument. There are some very good Twenty20 players but I think the package you get with ‘Watto’ [is] bat, bowl and field. The best thing about him is guys like Watto actually win you cricket games,” Haddin said.
“If they go off they take the game totally out of the hands of the opposition. At the moment, as we`ve all seen, in a few of those innings he`s playing he is playing a different game to all of us,” he said.
The Sydney Sixers open their campaign against 2010 champions Chennai Super Kings at the New Wanderers on Sunday before two group games in three days in Cape Town and then a fourth preliminary stage match in Durban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video