Shane Watson ruled out of first Test against South Africa
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Sydney: Australian all-rounder Shane Watson on Monday was ruled out from the first Test against South Africa beginning from Friday after suffering a calf strain in a domestic match.
While on the other hand the development means that 30-year-old Rob Quiney will make his debut for the national side on Friday.
Quiney is a late bloomer who graduated to first class cricket only five years ago.
The Victorian was called for the Australia squad on Sunday as cover when Watson suffered his injury in a match between New South Wales and Queensland, and was brought into the starting team after Watson was officially ruled out on Monday.
Quiney will become Australia’s 429th test cricketer when he debuts at Brisbane’s Gabba ground.
Watson hopes to be fit for the second and third Tests in Adelaide and Perth.
Australian chairman of selectors John Inverarity said Quiney’s performance over the years have been quiet impressive in all the formats.
“Rob Quiney has impressed the selectors with his performances in all formats in recent years,” Inverarity was quoted as saying by a news agency.
“He is in good shape at the moment and he is ready to grasp his opportunity should he get the nod for Friday. Rob is a mature player with an equable temperament who has been on the verge of higher honours for some time,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday