Shane Watson wins Allan Border Medal
Melbourne: Shane Watson capped an outstanding playing year by winning Australian cricket’s top individual award, the Allan Border Medal, for the second straight year on Monday.
Watson’s win capped a superb night in Melbourne for the 29-year-old allrounder, who also won his second consecutive one-day international player of the year award and his first Test player of the year award.
He was also runner-up to David Hussey in the Twenty20 award, which was given for the first time.
Watson polled 295 votes in the Allan Border Medal, which combines votes for every match in all three formats that Australia has played in the year to February 2.
He finished 100 votes clear of Michael Hussey (195) and Mitchell Johnson (193) in the medal voting.
In other awards, New South Wales batsman Usman Khawaja was named state player of the year and NSW paceman Trent Copeland was the young player of the year.
Watson scored 435 runs at 48.33 with four half-centuries in Australia’s 3-1 Ashes series loss to England in November-January, and hit a career-best 161 not out during Australia’s 6-1 one-day series win over England in January-February.
Since being reinstated to the Australia Test side as an opener in July 2009, Watson has amassed 1,696 runs in 19 Tests at 49.88.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant