Sharad Pawar withdraws transfer plea in Munde`s suit on MCA elections
Mumbai: The recently-elected president of Mumbai Cricket Association Sharad Pawar today withdrew his plea in the Bombay High Court seeking transfer of suit filed against him by senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde from one civil court to another.
When the matter came up for hearing on March 19, Justice Rajesh Ketkar asked Pawar`s counsel to withdraw the transfer application as the court was inclined to dismiss it.
Pawar`s counsel Abhay Khandeparkar sought time to seek instructions and the matter was kept for hearing today when the court was informed that Pawar wanted to withdraw the transfer plea.
Accordingly, the court allowed him to withdraw the application.
Munde, who had thrown his hat in the ring for MCA president`s post, had challenged the rejection of his nomination in the election by filing a suit in a civil court.
Pawar`s transfer application had said that the suit was based upon the interpretation of rules of MCA and the judge had dealt "exhaustively" with them at an earlier stage, but the main hearing, too, would depend on interpretation of same rules, so "it is desirable that the suit be assigned to any other court for final disposal."
Munde`s counsel, Vivekananda Gupta, opposed the plea saying the transfer application was not maintainable and termed it as "forum-hunting".
Pawar had earlier moved a civil court seeking transfer of the case to another court. However, he withdrew his plea in civil court with a liberty to move the high court.
Accordingly, he approached a high court bench, which allowed him to withdraw the transfer application once again.
The court, on November 26 last year, had temporarily restrained Pawar from functioning as MCA chief, but the high court had overturned the ruling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble