Shoaib Akhtar blasts PCB`s interim chairman
Karachi: Pakistan`s controversial fast bowler, Shoaib Akhtar has blasted the interim chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board for trying to exert pressure on the team national selectors and team management ahead of the West Indies tour.
Akhtar responded strongly to statements from Najam Sethi on Wednesday after returning from London that he will get the selectors, captains and head coach to put their thumb impression on the squad for the West Indies so that they know they are responsible for its performance.
"Najam Sethi is an interim chairman and he should talk like one. This is not the right way to try to exert pressure on the selectors or team management. What does he mean by responsibility if a team does not do well in one series or tournament you don`t sack the selectors or captain or coach like that this is not the way cricket is run," Akhtar said in an interview.
The fiery fast bowler said even if the team didn`t do well the selectors and team management should be asked to pinpoint reasons for it so that things can be rectified for the future.
He pointed out that not only were the players or selectors responsible for the team`s performance but everyone else in the cricket board as well.
"The board officials are also responsible. Why just blame the players. If they don`t perform players are dropped and if selectors don`t deliver they are replaced by others but what about the board officials who are drawing hefty salaries to whom are they accountable," Akhtar said.
He advised the interim chairman to look at the board set- up and the officials who were there for years and not doing anything.
"The same money which is spent on paying big salaries for these officials can be used on the players and our cricket infrastructure."
Akhtar also said he was not in favour of having a big support staff with the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured