Shoaib Akhtar`s book release function in Mumbai called off
Mumbai: The scheduled release of Shoiab Akhtar`s controversial book on Sunday has suddenly been cancelled without any reason being given.
Former India skipper Dilip Vengsarkar was to release Akhtar`s autobiography `Controversially Yours` at the Cricket Club of India (CCI) premises.
"The event has been cancelled," confirmed a CCI official, without assigning any reason.
According to sources, the event was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
The sudden cancellation generated speculation that it may be because of less than flattering remarks about India`s batting stalwarts Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid.
In his tell-all autobiography, Akhtar has made many controversial claims, such as iconic Indian batsman Tendulkar did not have the ability to finish matches in the initial stages of his career.
Meanwhile, a protest was held in suburban Dahisar on Sunday against Akhtar, for his comments on Tendulkar. Protesters carried Akthar`s posters on donkey-backs.
On Monday, Akhtar is scheduled to attend another function to promote his book in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Eat these superfoods for healthy stomach!
- Delhi Police recovers precious dagger stolen from Nehru Museum, arrests 2
- When Subramanian Swamy provoked Congress leaders with 'Italian Constitution' jibe
- Meldonium count in Maria Sharapova's blood sample exceeds permissible levels: Russian Sports Minister
- Honda Cars expects sales to grow in double digits in 2016-17