Sivaramakrishnan replaces May in ICC Cricket Committee
Dubai: In an appointment that was backed by the BCCI, former India leg-spinner Laxman Sivaramakrishnan on Monday replaced Tim May as a players' representative on the ICC Cricket Committee.
"... Sivaramakrishnan is one of the two Current Player representatives (replacing Tim May). The other Current Player representative is former Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakkara, who has been on the committee since 2007," the ICC said in a statement on Monday.
"Sangakkara and Sivaramakrishnan were recently elected by a vote of the 10 Test captains, and will serve on the Cricket Committee for a three-year term from 2013-15," it added.
The appointment was preceded by the head of South Africa's players union's recent allegation that Indian interests have forced a re-vote for the position of players' representative.
Tony Irish, who is also on the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations, had said initial voting for the post by the 10 Test captains had chosen May, who has been a long-term senior players' advocate.
Meanwhile, the ICC further announced that the annual Cricket Committee meeting will take place in London on May 28 and 29.
The committee will be chaired for the first time by former India captain Anil Kumble, who has succeeded ex-West Indies skipper Clive Lloyd.
It will be the first ICC Cricket Committee meeting for Sivaramakrishnan and former England captain Andrew Strauss.
Strauss is one of the two Past Player representatives (replacing Ian Bishop).
The Cricket Committee's remit is to discuss cricket-playing matters and to make recommendations to the ICC Chief Executives' Committee and the ICC Board that will meet at Lord's during the annual conference week, from 25-29 June.
The ICC Cricket Committee:
Chairman: Anil Kumble (former India captain)
Ex-Officio: Alan Isaac (ICC President) and David Richardson (ICC Chief Executive)
Past Player representatives: Mark Taylor (former Australia captain) and Andrew Strauss (former England captain)
Current Player representatives: Kumar Sangakkara (ex-Sri Lanka captain and current player) and Laxman Sivaramakrishnan (ex-India leg-spinner)
Full Member team coach representative: Gary Kirsten (South Africa coach)
Women's Cricket representative: Clare Connor (former England women's team captain)
Member Board representative: David White (NZC Chief Executive)
Associate representative: Trent Johnston (Former Ireland captain and current player)
Media representative: Ravi Shastri (former India captain and a commentator)
Umpires' representative: Steve Davis (member of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires)
Referees' representative: Ranjan Madugalle (ICC chief match referee and former Sri Lanka captain)
MCC representative: John Stephenson (MCC's Head of Cricket)
Statistician representative: David Kendix (statistician/scorer).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video