SL President okay with cricket team`s tour of Pak: Report
Karachi: The 2009 Lahore terror attack is yet to become even a distant memory but Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapakse has reportedly given his consent to the country`s cricket team touring Pakistan again.
According to a report in a daily, the Sri Lankan President told the media that his government was ready to send the team to Pakistan.
But Rajapakse reportedly made it clear that the final decision rested with the two boards. He said it was up to the boards of both the countries to sort out the dates and other intricacies for a tour.
"We are ready to take the initiative in this and will be happy if international cricket resumes in Pakistan," the newspaper quoted Rajapakse as saying.
No Test-playing nation has visited Pakistan since March 2009 when terrorists attacked the Sri Lankan team in Lahore killing six Pakistani policemen and a van driver.
Five of the visiting players were also injured in the incident while the reserve umpire suffered gunshot wounds.
The Pakistan Cricket Board has been trying hard to resume international tours in Pakistan without success as an invitation to the Bangladesh this year also didn`t materialise.
The PCB has however given its consent to the sports minister in Sindh province, Dr Mohammad Ali Shah, to invite a World XI side to Karachi.
According to details, the World XI will play two T20 matches at the national stadium later this month against the Pakistan XI and is expected to include Sanath Jayasuriya, Andre Nel, Nicky Boje, Justin Kemp and some other foreign players.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'