SL President okay with cricket team`s tour of Pak: Report
Karachi: The 2009 Lahore terror attack is yet to become even a distant memory but Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapakse has reportedly given his consent to the country`s cricket team touring Pakistan again.
According to a report in a daily, the Sri Lankan President told the media that his government was ready to send the team to Pakistan.
But Rajapakse reportedly made it clear that the final decision rested with the two boards. He said it was up to the boards of both the countries to sort out the dates and other intricacies for a tour.
"We are ready to take the initiative in this and will be happy if international cricket resumes in Pakistan," the newspaper quoted Rajapakse as saying.
No Test-playing nation has visited Pakistan since March 2009 when terrorists attacked the Sri Lankan team in Lahore killing six Pakistani policemen and a van driver.
Five of the visiting players were also injured in the incident while the reserve umpire suffered gunshot wounds.
The Pakistan Cricket Board has been trying hard to resume international tours in Pakistan without success as an invitation to the Bangladesh this year also didn`t materialise.
The PCB has however given its consent to the sports minister in Sindh province, Dr Mohammad Ali Shah, to invite a World XI side to Karachi.
According to details, the World XI will play two T20 matches at the national stadium later this month against the Pakistan XI and is expected to include Sanath Jayasuriya, Andre Nel, Nicky Boje, Justin Kemp and some other foreign players.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what