SL Sports Minister appoints probe committee on SLPL deal
Colombo: Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage has appointed a top level probe committee to look into the deal made by the Singapore based company, Somerset Entertainment Ventures, which promoted the aborted Sri Lanka Premier League (SLPL).
Sports Ministry officials said that the committee would be headed by a former police chief and would consists of the Director General of sports, legal officer of the governing body Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), a civil servant and a prominent sports administrator.
"There were queries made at the COPE committee in the Parliament that agreement with Somerset Entertainment Ventures had caused losses to SLC. So the minister wants it probed," said a Sports Ministry official.
COPE is parliament`s committee on public enterprises and SLC was shown as one of the loss making bodies in its last report.
Sri Lankan version of the Indian Premier League (IPL) ran into problems when Indian players refused to take part in the tournament.
It then converted into a domestic tournament last year with the hope that it would be revived by August this year.
SLC sources said the SLPL would be conducted with overseas players from this year as planned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks