Small political party opposes Pak women`s team in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Strongly opposing the hosting of Pakistan women team`s World Cup matches at Cuttack, a fringe political party organised protest demonstration here today while leaders of the ruling BJD differed on allowing the matches to be played in Odisha.
Slogan shouting activists of Yuva Utkal Bharat Party went for a procession in the state capital and organised protest demonstration.
Activists of ABVP, who had threated to dig up pitches before the matches, had also protested at the pilgrim town of Puri yesterday.
Meanwhile, differences of opinion surfaced in the ruling BJD on the issue. While local MP Bhartruhari Mahtab had opposed the move for Pakistani players to set foot on Odisha soil, local MLA Debasis Samantray welcomed the decision to host the matches of the mega event.
Supporting the visit of Pakistan players, Rajya Sabha MP and leader of Odisha Jana Morcha Pyari Mohan Mohapatra said that the issue should not be politicised.
Opposition to hosting the matches virtually gained momentum with a number of organisations including Bajrang Dal opposing the women cricketers from the neighbouring country playing in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!