Small political party opposes Pak women`s team in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Strongly opposing the hosting of Pakistan women team`s World Cup matches at Cuttack, a fringe political party organised protest demonstration here today while leaders of the ruling BJD differed on allowing the matches to be played in Odisha.
Slogan shouting activists of Yuva Utkal Bharat Party went for a procession in the state capital and organised protest demonstration.
Activists of ABVP, who had threated to dig up pitches before the matches, had also protested at the pilgrim town of Puri yesterday.
Meanwhile, differences of opinion surfaced in the ruling BJD on the issue. While local MP Bhartruhari Mahtab had opposed the move for Pakistani players to set foot on Odisha soil, local MLA Debasis Samantray welcomed the decision to host the matches of the mega event.
Supporting the visit of Pakistan players, Rajya Sabha MP and leader of Odisha Jana Morcha Pyari Mohan Mohapatra said that the issue should not be politicised.
Opposition to hosting the matches virtually gained momentum with a number of organisations including Bajrang Dal opposing the women cricketers from the neighbouring country playing in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof