Smith disappointed at Test championship delay
Johannesburg: South African captain Graeme Smith on Wednesday said he was disappointed that the ICC had decided not to introduce a world Test championship before 2017.
"It`s a bit disappointing," said Smith on the eve of the second and final Test against Australia at the Wanderers Stadium.
"I personally felt it wasn`t the right decision for cricket."
But Australian captain Michael Clarke said he was "not phased" by the ICC decision.
ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat announced on Monday that the introduction of a championship had been pushed out from 2013 because of commitments to broadcasters and sponsors.
"Obviously the ICC have their reasons but five years is a pretty long time," said Smith.
"You can skip a generation in five years. As cricketers you want the ICC to make the best decisions in the interests of the game and I`m not sure that that`s happened now."
Clarke said he hadn`t given much thought to the Test championship.
"I wasn`t really sure when it was due to start anyway. It doesn`t really phase me. If it can work in 2017 it`ll be fantastic but by that stage I think I`ll be watching from the couch."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened