Johannesburg: South African captain Graeme Smith on Wednesday said he was disappointed that the ICC had decided not to introduce a world Test championship before 2017.
"It`s a bit disappointing," said Smith on the eve of the second and final Test against Australia at the Wanderers Stadium.
"I personally felt it wasn`t the right decision for cricket."
But Australian captain Michael Clarke said he was "not phased" by the ICC decision.
ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat announced on Monday that the introduction of a championship had been pushed out from 2013 because of commitments to broadcasters and sponsors.
"Obviously the ICC have their reasons but five years is a pretty long time," said Smith.
"You can skip a generation in five years. As cricketers you want the ICC to make the best decisions in the interests of the game and I`m not sure that that`s happened now."
Clarke said he hadn`t given much thought to the Test championship.
"I wasn`t really sure when it was due to start anyway. It doesn`t really phase me. If it can work in 2017 it`ll be fantastic but by that stage I think I`ll be watching from the couch."