Smith says `increasing workload` made him skip batting in warm-up game with Pak A
Johannesburg: South African captain Graeme Smith has said that he is ready to lead the Proteas despite the skipper`s surprising no-show at the crease in a warm-up game against Pakistan A on Thursday.
According to Sport24, questions were asked on Thursday when Smith did not bat in South Africa`s second innings in their drawn warm-up game against Pakistan in Sharjah.
He made only 2 runs in the first innings and clearly needed some batting practice after being sidelined for 21 weeks with an ankle injury, the report said.
Instead, JP Duminy and Faf du Plessis came out to open in South Africa`s second innings, with Robin Peterson, Vernon Philander and Morne Morkel the other batsmen given time in the middle as the Proteas managed 109-3 before the game was called off, the report added.
However, Smith insists he`ll be ready to lead South Africa in the first Test against Pakistan, starting in Abu Dhabi on Monday, the report further said.
He said that it was just a management process for him as he had a major surgery six months ago and his workload in the last five days had been stepped up.
Smith`s only other recent time in the middle was when he featured for the Cape Cobras in a pre-season warm-up game against Indian side Madhya Pradesh at Newlands last Wednesday, according to the report.
He also made only two runs in that game, the report mentioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH