Smith to go on short leave during Eng series for child birth
Johannesburg: South Africa Test captain Graeme Smith will take a short break between the first two Tests in England in July to be with his wife for the birth to their first child.
"Cricket South Africa (CSA) will, in all likelihood, grant Graeme a leave of absence," South Africa team manager Mohammed Moosajee said.
Smith will return home after the first Test that starts on July 23 at the Oval to be with his wife Morgan Dean and go back before the second Test which begins in Leeds on August 2.
Moosajee said he did not believe that Smith`s short absence would have any adverse impact on the team, since he would return in time to lead the team out for the second Test.
"The style of leadership (that coach) Gary (Kirsten) is trying to create is to divide the responsibility on as many shoulders as possible," Moosajee told the daily SportsDay.
Commenting on how fatherhood might change Smith`s performance, Moosajee said, "I think he`s looking forward to being a father and I think he`ll make a damn good one because he`s got the right value systems."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly