Somdev-Treat vs Paes-Bhupathi in US Open pre-quarters
New York: It will be an almost all-Indian clash in the US Open men`s doubles pre-quarterfinal as Somdev Devvarman and his Filipino partner Treat Conrad Huey will lock horns with veterans Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes after both the teams won their respective second-round matches.
Somdev and Huey upstaged 14th seeds Argentines Juan Ignacio Chela and Eduardo Schwank 6-3, 6-4 in a battle that lasted for an hour and six minutes.
Somdev and Treat hit three aces and broke their rivals twice, even as the Argentines squandered their three chances.
Fourth seeds Paes and Bhupathi beat German Florian Mayer and Rogier Wassen of the Netherlands 7-6 (5), 6-2 in an 85-minute second-round clash.
Paes and Bhupathi stumbled to a lot of unforced errors but the Indian pair made it up by sending down five aces and besides breaking their rivals thrice.
Earlier, fifth seeded Indo-Pak pair of Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi beat American James Cerretani and Philipp Marx of Germany 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4) in a match that lasted for one hour and 39 minutes.
Bopanna and Qureshi will take on Paul Hanley of Australia and Belgium`s Dick Norman in the quarterfinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users