Some Indian players became casual after WC triumph: Gavaskar
New Delhi: Former India captain Sunil Gavaskar feels that some of the Indian players became very "casual" after their success in the 2011 World Cup which is "less than acceptable."
"After the success of 2011 World Cup, the attitude of some of the players became too casual. They started behaving as if the nation owes it to them for winning World Cup which is less than acceptable," Gavaskar told NDTV when asked about the reasons for India`s consistent failures in the last 18 months.
The legendary opener didn`t answer in a forthright manner whether the BCCI needs to do away with Duncan Fletcher who has seen through India`s worst slump in Test cricket in recent years.
"I support Dhoni when he says that the coach can`t get out there and score the runs. But yes, I would look if the attitude is too lacklustre or lackadaisical. In EPL or in La Liga, if a team continues to lose then the coach or the manager gets the boot," Gavaskar said.
Gavaskar agreed that Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been pro-active on field during the last two days.
"I think so. MSD knows that they have to be pro-active. I believe that things are changing but I hope it`s not too late."
The veteran agreed that with consistent failures of Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag, India haven`t been able to put up big scores.
Asked about the manner of Tendulkar`s dismissal, Gavaskar retorted,"What about Sehwag`s dismissal?"
The legend feels that Indians should learn from England`s debutant Joe Root who showed enormous patience.
"Look at their newcomer. He formed parnerships with Prior and Swann. If you ask me, this is not a difficult wicket to bat on but certainly difficult to score. The ball is not doing anything out of the ordinary and you can stay on this track. But since it`s not coming onto the bat and boundaries are big, you have to score in one`s and two`s. The problem with India is not being able to put up too many partnerships."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way