Son of Craig McDermott, Ben, in Australia U-19 squad
Melbourne: Ben McDermott, son of Australian bowling legend Craig McDermott, was Tuesday named in the 14-player Australia Under-19 squad to tour New Zealand from late March to early April.
The squad is a selection of Australia`s emerging talent including McDermott, 2013 U-19 National Championship leading wicket-taker Cameron Valente and batsman Kelvin Smith, who equalled Callum Ferguson`s U-17 National Championship record of most runs in 2011.
Cricket Australia (CA) National Talent Manager Greg Chappell said: "It`s a very exciting squad and follows on from our last two Under-19 programmes, where we have been fortunate to have many quality players come through and earn national and state selection. Ashton Agar, for example, was in this group last year and has since played two tour matches for the Australians in their Tour of India."
"It is a busy schedule this year for our emerging players, with Australia Under-19 tours to New Zealand and India, as well as the one-day tri-series between Australia, New Zealand and India, which will expose them to conditions and challenges similar to those faced at international level."
The squad will be coached by Stuart Law, who was also the Australia coach during the 2012 ICC U-19 World Cup.
The squad is due to arrive in New Zealand March 27 for the first match commencing March 30. Riley Ayre and Jeremy Maher (NSW) have been placed on standby for the tour.
The two sides will a three-day match from March 30-April 1 before three one-day games scheduled April 4, 6 and 8.
The following is the squad: Matthew Short, Damien Mortimer, Ben McDermott, Jake Doran, Jaron Morgan, Kelvin Smith, Sean Willis, Tom Andrews, Joel Logan, Guy Walker, Cameron Valente, Ben Ashkenazi, Matthew Fotia, Billy Stanlake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Shraddha Kapoor happy to be replaced by Alia Bhatt in ‘Aashiqui 3’?
- RJD MP who said, 'Nitish looting Bihar in name of development', gets show cause notice
- Secy panel on 7th CPC to have key meeting on June 11; salary hikes unlikely to come in July
- PM Modi to attend 2nd International Yoga Day at Chandigarh
- President Pranab Mukherjee appoints Kiran Bedi as Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry