South Africa bowl in Test decider
Cape Town, Jan 26: South Africa won the toss and sent Pakistan in to bat in the series-deciding third and final Test at Newlands.
With the teams locked at 1-1, South African captain Graeme Smith gambled that his fast bowlers would be able to make early inroads on a pitch which he believed had some moisture.
But it was a pitch which seemed likely to give help to the spinners, particularly at the southern Wynberg end later in the match.
The pitch at the Wynberg end was virtually bare while the Kelvin end had a fair covering of grass.
South Africa made three changes, with Boeta Dippenaar coming in as an opening batsman and AB de Villiers moving down the order to take the place of the suspended Herschelle Gibbs at number six.
All-rounder Shaun Pollock was rested, with Andrew Hall taking his place, while Dale Steyn was picked ahead of Andre Nel in a switch of fast bowlers.
Pakistan made only one change from the team that won the second Test in Port Elizabeth by five wickets, with Shahid Nazir replacing injured fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar.
South Africa: Graeme Smith (captain), Boeta Dippenaar, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, Ashwell Prince, AB de Villiers, Mark Boucher, Andrew Hall, Paul Harris, Makhaya Ntini, Dale Steyn.
Pakistan: Inzamam-ul-Haq (captain), Mohammad Hafeez, Imran Farhat, Yasir Hameed, Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf, Kamran Akmal, Shahid Nazir, Mohammad Sami, Danish Kaneria, Mohammad Asif.
Umpires: Steve Bucknor (WIS), Peter Parker (AUS). TV umpire: Marais Erasmus (RSA). Match referee: Chris Broad (ENG).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered