South Africa bowl in Test decider
Cape Town, Jan 26: South Africa won the toss and sent Pakistan in to bat in the series-deciding third and final Test at Newlands.
With the teams locked at 1-1, South African captain Graeme Smith gambled that his fast bowlers would be able to make early inroads on a pitch which he believed had some moisture.
But it was a pitch which seemed likely to give help to the spinners, particularly at the southern Wynberg end later in the match.
The pitch at the Wynberg end was virtually bare while the Kelvin end had a fair covering of grass.
South Africa made three changes, with Boeta Dippenaar coming in as an opening batsman and AB de Villiers moving down the order to take the place of the suspended Herschelle Gibbs at number six.
All-rounder Shaun Pollock was rested, with Andrew Hall taking his place, while Dale Steyn was picked ahead of Andre Nel in a switch of fast bowlers.
Pakistan made only one change from the team that won the second Test in Port Elizabeth by five wickets, with Shahid Nazir replacing injured fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar.
South Africa: Graeme Smith (captain), Boeta Dippenaar, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, Ashwell Prince, AB de Villiers, Mark Boucher, Andrew Hall, Paul Harris, Makhaya Ntini, Dale Steyn.
Pakistan: Inzamam-ul-Haq (captain), Mohammad Hafeez, Imran Farhat, Yasir Hameed, Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf, Kamran Akmal, Shahid Nazir, Mohammad Sami, Danish Kaneria, Mohammad Asif.
Umpires: Steve Bucknor (WIS), Peter Parker (AUS). TV umpire: Marais Erasmus (RSA). Match referee: Chris Broad (ENG).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon