South Africa faces England in T20 with eye on World Cup in Sri Lanka
Chester-le-street: South Africa captain AB de Villiers has said they play their first Natwest T20 International against England at Chester-le-Street with an eye on Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka.
“It’s a whole new format, we are obviously looking forward to the World T20 in Sri Lanka and this is the perfect preparation for us going forward,” De Villiers said.
“We have a few new faces joining us again, we need that after being here for a long time. We are very happy with the way we finished off in the ODI’s after a disappointing couples of losses in the middle stage of the series. I thought the boys showed character and we’ll take a bit of confidence and momentum from that.”
Avoiding a mental burn-out is something Gary Kirsten and the coaching staff are “aware” of, and with over a month to go until the squad returns home, it is a situation that is being monitored carefully.
De Villiers is part of the crop of players who endure a demanding schedule by playing all three formats, but feels that he has managed his workload efficiently.
“I’m fresh and ready to go,” he said about his own mental state. “I’m enjoying the game more than I ever have and I’m loving the challenge of the captaincy and the gloves in hand.
“It’s keeping me on my toes and I believe that it brings out the best in me. I have a wonderful unit that I’m captaining, it’s nice to see the guys playing well and I’m looking forward to what is going to be an exciting time.”
De Villiers also feels the fast-paced nature of the format will go a long way in revitalising the mind and energy levels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick