South Africa faces England in T20 with eye on World Cup in Sri Lanka
Chester-le-street: South Africa captain AB de Villiers has said they play their first Natwest T20 International against England at Chester-le-Street with an eye on Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka.
“It’s a whole new format, we are obviously looking forward to the World T20 in Sri Lanka and this is the perfect preparation for us going forward,” De Villiers said.
“We have a few new faces joining us again, we need that after being here for a long time. We are very happy with the way we finished off in the ODI’s after a disappointing couples of losses in the middle stage of the series. I thought the boys showed character and we’ll take a bit of confidence and momentum from that.”
Avoiding a mental burn-out is something Gary Kirsten and the coaching staff are “aware” of, and with over a month to go until the squad returns home, it is a situation that is being monitored carefully.
De Villiers is part of the crop of players who endure a demanding schedule by playing all three formats, but feels that he has managed his workload efficiently.
“I’m fresh and ready to go,” he said about his own mental state. “I’m enjoying the game more than I ever have and I’m loving the challenge of the captaincy and the gloves in hand.
“It’s keeping me on my toes and I believe that it brings out the best in me. I have a wonderful unit that I’m captaining, it’s nice to see the guys playing well and I’m looking forward to what is going to be an exciting time.”
De Villiers also feels the fast-paced nature of the format will go a long way in revitalising the mind and energy levels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?