South Africa going to be bigger challenge mentally: Jayawardene
Cape Town: Sri Lanka had a disappointing outing against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates, but the team needs to put the series behind and look ahead to South Africa, batsman Mahela Jayawardene has said.
“The UAE tour was frustrating because we had our opportunities, but didn’t convert them – especially in the fourth and fifth ODIs. In the fifth match we didn’t hold onto our chances, while Pakistan had a couple of good partnerships and finished it off. We needed to be consistent with the momentum,” Jayawardene wrote in an article for a leading daily.
“South Africa is going to be a bigger challenge mentally. We have to put this Pakistan series behind us. We cannot ride on what happened in the Middle East, take that extra baggage on board and think everything will turn around in South Africa. We need to play to our strengths and take positives from the Pakistan series.” he added.
Pakistan had won the three-Test series 1-0 and secured the five-match ODI series with a 4-1 win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award