South Africa going to be bigger challenge mentally: Jayawardene
Cape Town: Sri Lanka had a disappointing outing against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates, but the team needs to put the series behind and look ahead to South Africa, batsman Mahela Jayawardene has said.
“The UAE tour was frustrating because we had our opportunities, but didn’t convert them – especially in the fourth and fifth ODIs. In the fifth match we didn’t hold onto our chances, while Pakistan had a couple of good partnerships and finished it off. We needed to be consistent with the momentum,” Jayawardene wrote in an article for a leading daily.
“South Africa is going to be a bigger challenge mentally. We have to put this Pakistan series behind us. We cannot ride on what happened in the Middle East, take that extra baggage on board and think everything will turn around in South Africa. We need to play to our strengths and take positives from the Pakistan series.” he added.
Pakistan had won the three-Test series 1-0 and secured the five-match ODI series with a 4-1 win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon