South Africa may expand 2014 Indian Test series
Johannesburg: South Africa is considering expanding the Test part of touring India’s full series next summer, and it is believed that Cricket South Africa (CSA) is already in talks with their Indian counterparts to stretch the Test series from three to four matches.
As things stand on the International Cricket Council’s Future Tours Programme (FTP), the teams are due to play three Tests at the height of the 2013/14 season here, as many as seven one-day internationals, and two Twenty20 contests, but now the programme may be revised, presumably with some clipping of the ODI agenda, to feature four Tests, Sports24 reports.
According to senior cricket writer Rob Houwing, CSA is keen to maximise resurgent public interest in Graeme Smith’s currently No 1-ranked Test side, and enlarge the home Test programme for 2013/14 from six to seven Tests with Australia also due to visit the rainbow nation nearer the end of the season for three Tests. After the current series against Pakistan is completed, the Proteas have a hiatus in Test activity for several months, the paper reported.
South Africa only return to Test action at the start of the 2013/14 season in October, and that is initially away to Pakistan in the neutral United Arab Emirates.
When asked if he was disappointed at the lengthy gap for his raging Test charges after the end of the home obligations against Pakistan, captain Smith replied they would get to know how schedules work, adding some years there are more Tests, and other years there are more ODIs and T20s, saying the schedule has its ebbs and flows.
Smith added there is a bigger break this year, but series against Pak in UAE will be a big challenge for us as No 1, and he also said he expects those conditions to spin. Smith further said there is talk of the India series now having more Tests in it, so that’s exciting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town