South Africa to retain ICC Test mace
Dubai: South Africa has been guaranteed the number-one position on the ICC Test Championship table at the April 1 cut-off date after victory in the Cape Town Test against Pakistan.
It means their place cannot be overtaken by closest rivals - England, Australia and India.
South Africa only needed to draw the series against Pakistan to retain the Test mace.
But victory in the Cape Town Test by four wickets means even if they lose the third and final Test at Centurion, the Proteas will still gain one ratings point and will finish on 125 ratings points, which will be more than sufficient to give them the top spot at the cut-off date irrespective of how the India-Australia and England-New Zealand series pan out.
If England win all the three Tests against New Zealand, the maximum they can achieve is 119, while India can rise to as high as 112 (if they defeat Australia 4-0) and Australia can move to 121 (if they win all four Tests against India).
The Proteas will not only retain the prestigious Test Championship mace but will also earn $450,000 for this achievement. This is a significant increase in prize money, as, until last year, the side topping the Test or ODI Championship table received USD 175,000.
The battle for second, third and fourth positions is very much on, and is not only intense but close, as only 13 ratings points separate second-ranked England from fifth-ranked India.
The side that claims second position at the April cut-off date will earn USD 350,000 while the side finishing third will collect USD 250,000 and the side ending fourth will win USD 150,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured