3rd Test, Day 2: Michael Clarke steers Australia to strong position against South Africa
Cape Town: Australian captain Michael Clarke hit an unbeaten 161 to guide his team to a strong position on the second day of the third and final Test against South Africa at Newlands on Sunday.
Australia were 494 for seven when rain brought an early tea.
Part-time off-spinner JP Duminy claimed Test-best figures of four for 73, taking three wickets after lunch as Australia went for quick runs.
Australia added 103 runs for the loss of Steve Smith's wicket on a chilly, windy morning and added another 60 runs in 13.4 overs after lunch before rain stopped play.
With strike bowler Dale Steyn out of action after suffering a hamstring injury on the first day, the key for Australia was to prevent the South African bowlers from making a breakthrough early in the day with an almost-new ball.
Kyle Abbott bowled an outstanding spell of six overs during which he conceded only one run, but couldn't take a wicket, while Vernon Philander went for 39 runs in his six-over morning spell.
Clarke, who was on 92 overnight, quickly went to 99 but then faced 24 deliveries - 23 of them from Abbott - without being able to get the run to bring up his fifth century against South Africa.
It finally came with a cover drive for four off Philander. He had faced 215 balls and hit 11 fours.
Smith, meanwhile, played some aggressive strokes as he made 84 in a fourth wicket stand of 184 with Clarke before he chopped a wide delivery from part-time left-arm spinner Dean Elgar into his stumps. He hit nine fours and three sixes in a 155-ball innings.
Shane Watson, playing in his first match of the series, survived a review off the first ball he faced when Elgar appealed for leg before wicket but went on to make an aggressive 40 off 32 balls with two fours and three sixes.
In trying to hit Duminy for a fourth six he mistimed a shot to long-off.
Brad Haddin also perished playing an attacking shot and Mitchell Johnson was caught down the legside first ball by wicketkeeper AB de Villiers off Duminy.
Clarke, who had gone 11 Test innings without making more than 24 runs, batted with increasing confidence and reached 150 for the tenth time in his career off 288 balls when he clipped Abbott for his 17th four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened