Graeme Smith can draw inspiration from Brendon McCullum
Zee Media Bureau/ Suyash Srivastava
New Delhi: He wasn`t in the best of form ahead of the Test series, but with those two brilliant knocks against India, Brendon McCullum has once again proved his worth as a world class cricketer.
McCullum not only got his side out of a precarious situation in the second Test, but also became the first Kiwi cricketer to score a triple century in Tests. It was one of the best innings in Test matches of late, as the Kiwi skipper pummelled Indian bowlers with two significant partnerships.
The 27-year-old batsman first stitched a record 352-run partnership with BJ Watling (124) for the sixth wicket, and then followed it with another 179-run stand with James Neesham (137*) for the seventh wicket.
South African skipper Graeme Smith too can derive some inspiration from McCullum`s performances. Even though he has a major challenge of tackling Mitchell Johnson, Smith needs to lead from the front and one good knock from him could lift the morale of team, which witnessed humiliation in the first Test.
Most of the Kiwi cricketers had performed extremely well against India in the ODIs and even in Tests. Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor were outstanding in ODIs, and it was high time McCullum too chipped in with crucial knocks. But nobody would have expected him to hit back-to-back stupendous innings.
While McCullum scored 224 runs against India in the first Test, he won the hearts of not only the local crowd, but of cricket fans all across the world with a breathtaking innings where he smashed 302 runs in the second Test, which was a match-saving knock.
We all know Graeme Smith too has all the talent and the potential to lead from the front. And in case if he is looking for some inspiration to get the team going, McCullum`s innings could just be the perfect example for the Proteas skipper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Kabir Khan's message to the media after being 'heckled in Pakistan' is epic!
- Subrata Roy's health deteriorating in jail, can't survive another summer: Sahara tells SC
- BJP doing 'gundagardi' in name of making people say 'Bharat Mata ki Jai', says Arvind Kejriwal
- Sheena Bora murder: Indrani, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till May 9
- Sushmita Sen - mother of two daughters - talks about her sexiest mantra