Kallis admits was `little taken aback` at Smith`s retirement announcement
Johannesburg: Former South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis has expressed his surprise at the retirement announcement by Test captain Graeme Smith, saying that he was a `little taken aback` by Smith`s mid-Test announcement of his retirement from international cricket.
Kallis, who has only been out of the Test arena himself for a few weeks after his own decision to step down during the India series, has been friends and teammates with Smith for many years.
According to Sport24, Kallis said that although he knew that Smith was nearing his retirement, he did not realise that the captain was that close to announcing it, adding that he must have spent a lot of time thinking about his decision as it is a difficult call to make when cricket has been one`s livelihood for so long.
Kallis further said that Smith`s family must have played a big part in his decision, adding that there is a lot of pressure that comes with being a captain.
Stating that it is a `shock to the system` when a player like Smith makes such an announcement, Kallis further said that such decisions just strike one suddenly without warning, adding that the same happened with when he retired.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?