Phillip Hughes replaces injured Shaun Marsh in Australia squad
Australia replaced injured batsman Shaun Marsh with Phillip Hughes on Thursday while clearing fit-again paceman Jackson Bird to join the team in South Africa for the three-test series starting on February 12.
Though named in the 15-man squad, both Marsh and Bird stayed put in Australia battling fitness issues.
"As Shaun Marsh`s calf injury has not improved as much as required over the past four days he has been withdrawn from the test squad for the tour of South Africa," national selector John Inverarity said in a statement.
"Phillip Hughes had been placed on standby and now comes into the test Squad as a replacement for Shaun. Phillip will head to South Africa as soon as possible."
Marsh injured his calf during Australia`s one-day series against England and was undergoing treatment at Perth.
Bird, who injured his back in a Big Bash match last week, was cleared by the medical team after the 27-year-old paceman underwent bowling sessions at Hobart under coach Darren Lehmann`s observation.
He, along with team mate Moises Henriques, will fly to South Africa on Friday.
After the first test in Centurion, Port Elizabeth will host the second from February 20 while Cape Town is the venue for the third and final test from March 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM