Rain may be `main obstacle` to Proteas` quest to win second Test
Johannesburg: South Africa will reportedly need to keep ahead of the weather conditions if they want to win the second Test against Australia at Port Elizabeth to level the series with a strong chance of rain for much of the scheduled fifth day`s play on Monday continuing to characterise weather forecasts.
The elements look like potentially being the main obstacle to the hosts` quest to keep alive the dream of coming from behind to win a first home series against Australia since 1969/70.
According to Sport24, South Africa is in control of the match with a commanding lead of 369 runs with six wickets remaining after day three and as such, the series is likely to remain alive now when the sides head for the final contest at Newlands from next Saturday.
The report mentioned that of top-order kingpin Hashim Amla regained his lustre at the crease in a big way as he is just seven runs of what will be his 21st century at this level if he gets to three figures on Sunday, and set the visitors a target well in excess of 400.
However, the report further said that the South African task would not be made easier by the fact that Wayne Parnell , who picked up a groin st rain in the first session on Saturday, might not be able to contribute with the ball.
Parnell`s injury means that the hosts are back to their old, established front-line seam firm of Dale Steyn, Vernon Philander and Morne Morkel for their key strikes and they will also need some pace-changing overs from JP Duminy and Dean Elgar, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!