South African Tsotsobe`s World Cup injury scare
Chennai: South Africa received an injury scare as pace bowler Lonwabo Tsotsobe strained his right knee during the team`s eight-wicket victory over Zimbabwe in Saturday`s warm-up match of the cricket World Cup.
Tsotsobe sent down a couple of overs without success before falling awkwardly while trying to stop a boundary and was writhing in pain barely a week before the tournament gets underway.
Surrounded by worried team mates, the pacer received medical attention before eventually hobbling off the ground.
"That area of the outfield was wet and he flexed his knee and suffered a mild strain," team manager Mohammed Moosajee told reporters.
"He was assessed by the physiotherapist today and will be assessed again tomorrow morning and we`ll take a call from there."
South Africa kick off their Group B campaign against the West Indies in Delhi on Feb 24.
Graeme Smith and his men, however, can draw some positives from the match as they embark on putting World Cup heartbreaks, including semi-final exits in 1992, 1999 and 2007 and a shock quarter-final loss to the West Indies in 1996, behind them.
After Zimbabwe had decided to bat first, Smith employed as many as eight bowlers, including his three frontline spinners who shared six wickets among themselves.
Imran Tahir, the uncapped Pakistan-born leg-spinner with streaked hair, claimed three for 35 in 8.5 overs, removing Prosper Utseya and Shingirai Masakadza off successive deliveries to hasten Zimbabwe`s collapse for 152 in the 42nd over.
Left-arm spinner Robin Petersen scalped two while off-spinner Johan Botha got one. Pacer Morne Morkel was the pick of the South African bowlers, claiming three for 16 in his six tidy overs.
AB de Villiers took three catches behind the stumps to signal he is ready for his first wicketkeeping assignment for South Africa in a big event.
Batting mainstay Jacques Kallis, who the team had decided not to rush to action so that he can recover fully from a side strain, also spent quality time in the middle, hitting three sixes in his unbeaten 49-run knock.
Hashim Amla (45) and Smith (41) got some batting practice too as South Africa chased down the target with 26.3 overs to spare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi