South Africa’s squad for England series unlikely to have too many changes
Cape Town: South Africa’s squad for the three-Test series against England is unlikely to have too many changes from the team which played on New Zealand tour.
Andrew Hudson’s national selection panel convenor confirmed to on Tuesday that the squad would be revealed either on Wednesday or Thursday, and that it would be made up of 15 players.
Considering that no South African first-class cricket of any significance has been played subsequently, it would be a surprise if the squad differed much, if at all, from that combination.
The Proteas have a pretty settled “first XI” for relatively standard pitch conditions, which currently comprises: Graeme Smith (captain), Alviro Petersen, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers, Jacques Rudolph, Mark Boucher, Dale Steyn, Vernon Philander, Morne Morkel and Imran Tahir.
The reserve pacemen are young Marchant de Lange and the left-armer Lonwabo Tsotsobe.
If the selectors do opt for precisely the same 15 who toured New Zealand much more recently, the squad would show six changes from the one which last visited England in 2008, when the Proteas earned a landmark 2-1 triumph in a four-Test series.
Out of the reckoning now are Ashwell Prince (vice-captain then), Paul Harris, Neil McKenzie, Andre Nel, Makhaya Ntini and Monde Zondeki.
South Africa’s plays the first Test from July 19-23 at The Oval; second Test from August 2-6 at Headingley; and third Test from August 16-20 at Lord’s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach