Southee discarded for Hamilton Test
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Hamilton: Pace bowler Tim Southee was dropped from the New Zealand Test side for the 2nd Test at Hamilton against South Africa, scheduled to be started from Tuesday.
Southee failed to take a single wicket despite giving away 140 runs in the first Test at Dunedin. He would now play the Plunket Shield to work on his technique and form.
New Zealand, however, have added paceman Mark Gillespie and Brent Arnel to the side for the second Test.
"Tim Southee hasn`t been included He`s a talented young fast bowler and we are confident he will return to the Plunket Shield and continue to put pressure on those in the Test team," Kim Littlejohn, New Zealand national selection manager was quoted as saying by Cricinfo.
"Mark Gillespie returns to international cricket after showing good form recently and provides and a strong and reliable bowling option," he added.
He said Nethula, who is yet to make his Test debut, was bowling well and "offers a point of difference to the attack".
Opening batsman Rob Nicol retained his place despite disappointing returns of six and 19 on debut in the opening Test, which ended in a draw after the final day's play was washed out yesterday.
The draw cost South Africa the opportunity to overtake England as the number one team in the ICC world Test rankings. The Proteas needed a clean sweep in the three-Test series to achieve the goal.
New Zealand Squad: Ross Taylor (capt), Brent Arnel, Trent Boult, Doug Bracewell, Andrew Ellis, Mark Gillespie, Martin Guptill, Chris Martin, Brendon McCullum, Tarun Nethula, Rob Nicol, Kruger Van Wyk (wk), Daniel Vettori, Kane Williamson
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi