Sports Minister open to approach Home Ministry on IPL-7 issue
New Delhi: Sports Minister Jitendra Singh on Friday said that he was open to discuss security related issues for the hosting of the IPL in the country with the Home Ministry if the concerned authorities approach him with a formal request.
"I have not got any formal communique or request. Formally, I have not been requested. If they request us, we will definitely take it up with the home ministry," Singh told reporters on the sidelines of an event here.
Despite the sports ministry having no authority on providing security to IPL matches, Singh commented after he was asked about his opinion as a sports minister on the possibility of the cash-rich T20 tournament being shifted out of India and how it`s going to effect cricket in the country.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde earlier in the day said that the government would not be able to provide adequate security for IPL -- likely to be held between April 9 and June 3 -- as its dates clash with general elections.
"Due to general elections, it will be difficult to provide adequate security to IPL matches," Shinde told reporters here.
More than 1.20 lakh central paramilitary force personnel, in addition to state police forces, are expected to be deployed for the multi-phased Lok Sabha polls which are likely to be held in April-May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO