Spot-fixing: Court pulls up police for delay in proceedings
New Delhi: A court here on Wednesday pulled up the Delhi Police for delay in the proceedings in IPL spot-fixing case and warned that it would impose cost on it and adjourn the case "sine die".
"Take it for granted that if any application is received by me (after May 16) from defence counsel that the document is not complete, I will impose cost and will adjourn the case sine die. You (Police) are doing it for nine months," Additional Sessions Judge Bharat Parashar told the Special Cell of Delhi Police.
The court was irked over the delay in completion of the scrutiny of documents filed along with the charge sheets filed by the police in the case after some counsel appearing for the accused said they have not received the complete set of documents yet.
"I will not do this work of supplying documents. I have other important works to do," the judge said and directed the police to furnish and supply all the documents by May 16, the next date of hearing.
"The only concern for me is that for what I should adjourn the proceedings," the judge said.
Public prosecutor Rajiv Mohan, however, told the court that the police would file all documents before the it by the next date of hearing and would also supply them to the counsel for the accused.
Earlier, the court had expressed concern over "repeated adjournment" in the case and directed the police to supply the copies of charge sheet and other documents filed along with it to all accused, including suspended cricketers S Sreesanth and Ajit Chandila, by today.
The order had come after the court`s observation that proceedings in the case have been adjourned as complete set of documents have not been supplied to the accused.
The court had also said that after scrutiny of documents gets over, it would fix the matter for hearing arguments on framing of charges in the case.
The Special Cell of Delhi Police had filed a 6,000-page charge sheet against the accused in the case.
The court had on June 10 last year granted bail to Sreesanth, Chavan and 19 others for lack of evidence against them under the provisions of stringent law Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
Various other accused, including Chandila, were also granted bail later on by the court.
The police, in its charge sheet, had claimed that accused underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and his aide Chhota Shakeel, who have been "controlling the fixing and betting market" in cricket in India, were behind the IPL spot-fixing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow