Spot-fixing: PCA to involve parents of young cricketers
Mohali: In the wake of spot-fixing scandal that has rocked the IPL, Punjab Cricket Association has decided to invite the parents of its junior cricketers for counseling so that the budding talent does not go astray and fall to the lure of quick money using unfair means.
"We are inviting the parents of U-16 and U-19 cricketers and have interactions with them. While the step will help us take more feedback about the youngsters` activities, the parents, too, will get true picture about the progress/shortcomings of their child," PCA Secretary M P Pandove said on Tuesday.
While admitting that it`s not possible for the PCA or the BCCI to monitor individuals round the clock, Pandove opined such interactions would definitely make them much better players.
"We feel by having interaction with the parents, we can get a better picture about a particular player. Both the sides can then play a role in grooming the player which will help him distinguish clearly between right and wrong," he said.
Pandove, who took part in the BCCI Working Committee`s Emergent Meeting held in Chennai on Sunday, felt the period between the ages of 17 to 20 is crucial for honing the basic cricketing skills of a player.
"Once players have strong fundamentals, they can improvise. Enforcing strict discipline is a must if we are to produce a good bunch of cricketers, who will prove an asset for their state and the country," he said.
He gave the example of former India veteran and Rajasthan Royals captain Rahul Dravid in this regard.
"Take the example of Rahul Dravid. When I was a (national) selector (in mid 1990s), there was lot of demand that Dravid, who initially featured in Test matches, should be allowed to play the one-dayers.
"However, I put my foot down as I felt that Dravid, who has a solid technique, should first play more of the five-day and four-day matches as it will help him perfect his skill. The rest is history and now even after retirement, Rahul is proving his mettle even in the IPL," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside