Spot fixing scandal won`t `haunt` team in Champions Trophy: Riaz
Karachi: Pakistani fast bowler Wahab Riaz has said that he believed that the national team will not be haunted by the spot-fixing scandal when they go to England for the ICC Champions Trophy in June.
Riaz was part of the Pakistan squad that was hit by the spot-fixing scandal in 2010 after the fourth Test at Lords, which led to the suspension followed by bans of then captain Salman Butt and pace bowlers Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir.
Riaz, who was also suspected of being involved in the spot-fixing racket but was later cleared of all wrongdoings, said that he does not think that whatever happened in the past will affect their team now as they are focused on doing well in the Champions Trophy.
According to Riaz, although the days after the scandal broke out were very difficult for the team, the players have shown that they are committed to presenting a positive image of Pakistan cricket to the world.
According to the report, Riaz is among a list of pace bowlers who are presently being trained by Pakistan`s legendary pacer Wasim Akram in a 10-day specialised camp at the National stadium.
Pakistan`s head coach Dav Whatmore also joined the camp to help Akram pay special attention to the bowling of Riaz, Mohammad Irfan, Junaid Khan and Ehsan Adil with the new ball.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!