Spot-fixing: TN Police conducting searches in Chennai
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Police today conducted searches in various locations in the city in connection with betting and fixing relating to IPL matches, a day after Delhi Police arrested three Rajasthan Royals players for alleged spot-fixing.
Crime-Branch CID sources said raids were on in city but declined to divulge details, including the locations.
They indicated that searches were being held in connection with charges of fixing besides crack down on betting.
Speedster S Sreesanth and two other bowlers from Rajasthan Royals team Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan were arrested by Delhi Police on charges of spot-fixing IPL matches for payments of upto Rs 60 lakhs just for giving away pre-determined number of runs in an over.
The players, who have been suspended by the BCCI, have been charged under section 420 (cheating) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC.
They are also likely to be booked under the stringent MCOCA, Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act, which could land them in jail without bail and their confessions before a DCP level officer will be admissible in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack