Sreesanth's arrest is a mistake, says his lawyer
New Delhi: Indian pacer and Rajasthan Royals player S. Sreesanth has been `falsely or mistakenly` arrested by the police, his lawyer said Friday.
Speaking to reporters, his lawyer, Deepak Prakash said: ‘Sreesanth has been falsely or mistakenly arrested. They (Delhi Police) have got some wrong information or mistakenly arrested him.’
Sreesanth and two of his Rajasthan Royals teammates - Ankeet Chavan and Ajit Chandila - were arrested late Wednesday and accused of spot-fixing in Indian Premier League (IPL) matches. The cricketer-trio and 11 bookies have been charged with cheating and criminal conspiracy.
According to police, Chavan Friday broke down under interrogation and has accepted his role in the spot-fixing scandal. However, Prakash said the confession had ‘no value’.
‘They (players) have to confess before the court. Police can say anything, it has no value at all,’ said Prakash.
‘Anyway, Sreesanth is not confessing. Though his name has been involved, there is no issue with Sreesanth. He will fight it out. He is completely cooperating and has explained his innocence,’ said the lawyer further.
The lawyer also rubbished accusations that Sreesanth used a towel to signal bookies, before the start of an over that he would be giving away runs, saying that a majority of players use towels due to hot weather.
‘It`s a very casual thing. Ninety percent of the players use towels. The match was played at 4 o`clock... the towel was needed,’ he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey