Sri Lanka beat Australia to send India home
Melbourne: Sri Lanka beat Australia by nine runs despite Dan Christian's hat-trick in a dramatic one-day international on Friday to book their place in the final of the Tri-series against the hosts and send India home.
India needed their sub-continental rivals to lose the last round-robin clash to keep their tour alive but Sri Lanka made 238 all out from their 50 overs before dismissing Australia, who had already secured their place in the final, for 229.
Australia went into the final over of their innings needing 10 runs for victory but Nuwan Kulasekera had David Hussey caught for 74 with the first ball to spark emotional celebrations among the Sri Lankans.
All rounder Christian had earlier taken the 31st hat-trick in one-day internationals - just the fourth by an Australian - by removing Thisara Perera, Sachithra Senanayake and Kulasekera in successive balls in Sri Lanka's 44th over.
The 28-year-old, who made his international debut earlier this month, had Perera caught for five at deep midwicket by Mike Hussey and then trapped Senanayake and Kulasekera, more contentiously, lbw to prompt wild scenes from his team mates.
Sri Lanka had recovered from a faltering start when Kumar Sangakkara (64) and Dinesh Chandimal (75) put on 123 for the third wicket.
Quick James Pattinson (4-51) removed them both and later dismissed Lahiru Thirimanne (51) to celebrate his return to international cricket as Sri Lanka stumbled in the last 10 overs.
Christian bowled Lasith Malinga with the final delivery of the innings for an even more impressive return of five for 31 from his nine overs - his first international five-wicket haul.
Australia also made a stuttering start to their innings and lost their first three batsmen for 26 runs before stand-in captain Shane Watson and Mike Hussey (29) combined for 87 to steady the ship.
However, Watson, who was looking well set on 65, then had his stumps shattered by a brilliant yorker from Malinga (4-49).
Sri Lanka sensed their chance and, cheered on by the majority of fans in the 30,000 crowd at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, seized it.
While David Hussey - who hit his fifth half century of the series - was around the result was still in doubt but when he sent the first ball of the final over towards the safe hands of Tillakaratne Dilshan at long off, Sri Lanka were off to Adelaide for Sunday's first match of the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’