Sri Lanka Cricket chief says Galle pitch not dangerous
Colombo: The match referee may have declared the Galle Stadium pitch poor leading to an ICC inquiry, but Sri Lanka Cricket chief Upali Dharmadasa said the pitch was not dangerous by any means.
The first Australia-Sri Lanka Test of an ongoing series was played here and there were complaints of the pitch being too dusty.
"You see no one got injured by playing on the surface at Galle. Moreover one batsman scored a century and another got a 95 on the last day of the match," Dharmadasa said on Wednesday.
He said over 800 runs were scored on the pitch and it was challenging both the sides equally.
He discounted the dust being an issue to rate the pitch sub-standard.
The ICC announced an inquiry into the "sub-standard pitch" prepared in Galle after it was rated poor by Chris Broad, the Match Referee.
ICC General Manager David Richardson and chief match referee Ranjan Madugalle will now consider all the evidence, including studying video footage of the match and submissions from the SLC, before reaching their decision.
Australia coasted to a 125 run win in the match taking a 1-0 lead in the three-match series.
Galle has traditionally been a happy hunting ground for Sri Lanka with hosts losing only four of the 18 Test matches played there.
Two of the losses incidentally have come against the Australians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof