Sri Lanka Cricket responds to Jayawardene, Sangakkara allegations

Last Updated: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 - 17:48

Colombo: The governing body Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has dismissed allegations levelled at them by two senior players, Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara.

The two players at a press conference held immediately after their return Tuesday having won the World T20 title had blamed the SLC Secretary (Nishantha Ranatunga) and CEO (Ashley de Silva) for demoralizing them ahead of the tournament in Bangladesh.

Players said the two officials had been critical of their decision to retire from T20 cricket and choosing the wrong methods to announce it.

"What I told the media was in response to a query. I am 37 years of age now. So there

is no chance of me playing in another world cup. That was what I said".

"We are disappointed that board officials without clarifying the statements from us had found fault with us", Jayawardene said.

A SLC statement said that it regretted "such unsubstantiated accusations levelled against the Honorary Secretary and CEO by a senior member of the national team without verifying the facts as a public forum."

The SLC officials had expressed disappointment over the decision by Jayawardene and Sangakkara to retire without making the announcement through proper channels which is through the board.

PTI

First Published: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 - 17:48

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus